Monday, October 10, 2011

Some Final Thoughts As We Head Home



Though posting this on Monday afternoon, I am writing on Sunday night and we are sitting here in the London airport having discovered that our flight has been delayed and we will miss our connecting flight so we will be spending the night in Chicago!  Welcome to missions.

Reflecting on what I would tell people as to where I thought the most ministry happened.  Yes, I was the pastor/teacher who equipped the saints but what immediately comes to mind is that it wasn’t in the classes or the information or tools I provided (Though they LOVED the glove puppets I brought and greatly appreciated what we taught), it was just being me – the willingness to come and be available - that was probably the most impact.
·      We laughed together as we played games
·      We cried together over their fears, their losses, burdens and hardships
·      We prayed together; I laid hands and I prayed over them
·      I prayed over their children
·      We grew closer together and with the Lord as we got into the Word through Bible Storying
·      I was available to them if they wanted more information or prayer
·      We blessed each other as we sang “The Blessing” song
·      We were and are the Church, the body of Christ, as we practiced the one-anothers that God has asked of us.

This is what I asked prayer for prior to leaving – know that God answered all of them!
·      Holy Spirit lead and empowered
·      Sensitivity to the spiritual and soul needs of the people as many are being severely persecuted for their faith
·      Stamina, especially in Iraq, as we teach 14 classes in 4 days
          ·      That I put people's needs before the actual teachings


I am humbled that God would use me in this way.  None of our lives will be the same.  But there is a lesson here for all of us to learn.  You don’t have to go to Iraq to experience this.  We are brothers and sisters in Christ, the Church, no matter where we are.  Walls can come down, we can be used to help each other be drawn closer to the Lord as we are committed to the Lord’s will no matter what the cost.  Who will come across our paths that need the loving touch and words of Jesus Christ?  Where will God want to send us and will we be obedient? 

Let me close this journey from the words of Isaiah:

I heard the voice of the Lord saying:
Whom shall I send and who will go for us?
Then I said, “Here I am Lord, send me.”
And He said, “Go…”   Is 6:8-9a

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your journey with us Gary! Read every blog as i prayed for you guys. Glad your home safe and look forward to hear how the Lord is steering your heart since you have been back. Bless ya!!

    ReplyDelete